CFLAGS vs CPPFLAGS, or The future of `make depend' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject CFLAGS vs CPPFLAGS, or The future of `make depend'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Targets of the form

depend dep:       $(CC) -MM $(CFLAGS) *.c >depend

are wrong, there should be at least a $(CPPFLAGS) in there. In fact, the
whole CPPFLAGS vs CFLAGS issue is completely messed up, in case you ever
wondered why you get duplicate `-I' options on the compile line.

Now the variable naming issue I want to fix, but I wonder whether it's
worth fixing the `depend' targets. After all, they have been replaced by
something better now. To be clear: fixing the variable naming without
fixing the depend targets would break the depend targets, it's just a
decision about the amount of work.

Any comments?