Re: Warnings triggered by recent includefile cleanups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Warnings triggered by recent includefile cleanups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> specifically the fact that the code now tries to include *both*
> <limits.h> and <values.h> rather than only one.  Well, I'm here
> to tell you that the two headers are not entirely compatible,
> at least not on this platform (HPUX 10.20, obviously).
>
> Checking the CVS logs, I see that 7.0 is our first release that tries
> to include <values.h> at all, so we have little track experience with
> that header and none with its possible conflicts with the ANSI-standard
> headers.  The submitter of the patch that added it did not recommend
> including it unconditionally, but only if <limits.h> is not available.
> Looks like he knew what he was doing.
>
> Does anyone object if I revert this code to the way it was?

Considering that evidence shows that limits.h must have been available on
all platforms at least since 6.5, in fact at least as long as the current
regex engine has existed, values.h could not possibly have been included
anywhere ever, so it's probably better to just remove it.