Re: Figured it out (psql and Gnu readline) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Figured it out (psql and Gnu readline)
Date
List pgsql-general
Erich writes:

> configure:4073: checking for readline/history.h
> configure:4083: gcc -E   conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:4079: readline/history.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 4078 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <readline/history.h>
> configure:4113: checking for readline/readline.h
> configure:4123: gcc -E   conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out

Shot in the dark: you have some other readline'ish library (libedit?)
installed somewhere (/usr/{lib,include}?), which configure picks up here.
But that library only provides a readline/readline.h header, no
history.h. If so, reconfigure --with-includes=/usr/local/include
--with-libraries=/usr/local/lib.

> I have a stupid ./configure question: Whenever I compile something, I
> never want to have -g as a CC option.  How do I tell configure not to
> use -g as a CC option?  I only want -O2.  Usually I go through and
> edit Makefiles by hand after configure is done, but that's annoying.

If the package respects the environment (which PostgreSQL doesn't,
unfortunately) then

CFLAGS=-O2 ./configure

should work. In PostgreSQL we don't put any -g into CFLAGS by default. If
the package uses Automake then you can also do `make install-strip' to
remove the debugging symbols at install time.