Re: JDBC: Encrypted connections? SSL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: JDBC: Encrypted connections? SSL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Randall Parker writes:

> With PostgreSQL is there any way to have encrypted connections to the
> database?

One option, based on ssh, is explained in chapter 8 of the Administator's
Guide. (the docs version shipped with 7.0.2)

> Also, once the SSL patent expires in Sept or Oct of this year has any
> thought been given to SSL support?

There is no patent on SSL. The patent that expires in September is the RSA
patent, but of course you can use SSL with a number of other encryption
algorithms.

PostgreSQL 7.0 already has some support for using SSL in the source.
Unfortunately, the author has disappeared and no one knows how to get it
to work. I've just gotten it to compile at least, so if you are
interested, grab the development snapshot and see what you can make of it.