Re: Find all the dates in the calendar week? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Find all the dates in the calendar week?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> "Standards" in this case include common usage and the ISO-defined
> business usage of business-year/week-of-year. If we had to choose,
> clearly common usage wins.

The problem with common usage is that it invariably differs between
localities and is therefore *not* standard. See date styles.

Case week of the year: I lived in the U.S. for four years and have never
heard of WoY used the way Oracle defines it. In Sweden on the other hand a
lot of the calendaring is done in terms of WoY, official and inofficial.
And in this case the common usage coincides with the standard.

SQL has over the years steadily crept to being a truly international
standard, see also references to Unicode in SQL99. It would be a shame if
we substituted our idea of common usage in place of the coherent ISO
framework

> ISO-year/week-of-year is a business-only construct, perhaps helping with
> payment intervals.

Aren't people using databases to run businesses, perhaps even payment
systems? I know I do.