Re: zlib for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: zlib for pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Philip Warner writes:

> What about a compromise: --enable-zlib, --disable-zlib.
>
> configure should check for zlib if neither of these is specified, otherwise
> if just uses these.

I like that.

> You also need to be careful: if --enable-zlib is specified and configure
> could not find zlib.h, something needs to be done...

True, especially on RPM systems that don't install the header files by
default.

Actually, there is a CHECK_ZLIB macro in the official Autoconf macro
archive that does this sort of thing, but it rather follows my original
suggestions of yes/no, rather than your idea of yes/no/maybe. But maybe we
can reutilize that anyway in some form.