Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL & the BSD License - Mailing list pgsql-general

From eisentrp@csis.gvsu.edu
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL & the BSD License
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> as mentioned by another person, it appears that the problem isn't with the
> copyright, the problem is us :(  BSD *has* already done all the revisons
> to the copyright, we've just never upgraded ours to match theirs ... I
> posted, in another thread, a proposed updated COPYRIGHT file based off of
> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html ...

Notice how the letter you cited was addressed to all users of 4.4BSD, and
not to the users of all software products that every came out of
Berkeley. Just because some of them got to change their license doesn't
mean that all the other packages suddenly get to choose what wording
they'd like.

The particular change was the removal of the "advertisement clause".
Postgres doesn't have an advertisement clause.

If you want to get word from the UCB that we are allowed to insert "AND
ALL OTHER CONTRIBUTORS" at strategic places in the current text then we'd
probably be served best. But until then we have to leave the UCB license
untouched.