Re: Installing clients (psql) only - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Installing clients (psql) only
Date
List pgsql-general
Rick Delaney writes:

> Is there a source distribution to install just psql?

No (at least not officially). If you want to use psql you probably have a
server somewhere, and there's no reason why you couldn't reuse that source
tree.

> What I'm looking for is a quick and easy way to install psql and
> DBD::Pg (which needs libpq) on a bunch of different unix client
> machines.

Something like this should suffice:

./configure [options]
make -C interfaces
make -C interfaces install
make -C bin
make -C bin install

(Or if you really just want psql, you can find it in bin/psql, and libpq
in interfaces/libpq.)

If you're sure that all clients are configured identically you can just
log into each one and run the "install" steps on each. Otherwise it's
safest if you run `make distclean' and re-configure on each box.

> What do people normally do when they don't need all of Postgres on
> their client boxes?

Using RPMs is also popular, if applicable.