Re: Re[2]: lower() for varchar data by creating an index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Re[2]: lower() for varchar data by creating an index
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane writes:

> What's the point of a notice?  "You just deleted OID equals.  Better
> luck with your next database."  Either we think this is too dangerous to
> be allowed even to the dbadmin, or we don't.

I'd have to agree.

> Actually, isn't there a backend switch that you have to set in order to
> do *really* dangerous stuff (DML operations on the system classes, for
> example)?  Maybe the right answer is to allow deletion of builtin
> function entries only when that's set.

You might be referring to pg_shadow.usecatupd, but that only covers direct
catalog updates. The postgres -O switch allows system schema changes, that
doesn't apply either.

Anyway, shouldn't you be able to do CREATE FUNCTION xxx (...) LANGUAGE
'internal'; to recreate it? (And that wouldn't actually require things
like oideq to be in pg_proc, would it?)