Re: [HACKERS] Need confirmation of "Posix time standard" on FreeBSD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Need confirmation of "Posix time standard" on FreeBSD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2000-02-08, Thomas Lockhart mentioned:

> OK. I'll need to generalize the current code, which looks specifically
> for "gmt". Possibly, we'll have just the "GMT+/-####" case handled for
> 7.0, but if I get time.

I believe it should preferrably be called "UTC".

> And we'll allow a superset of the Posix standard, so "GMT+0800" will

He mentioned earlier that it has to be GMT+08:00 or GMT+8.

> be legal (otherwise, it would disallow the ISO8601 standard which imho
> should take precedence).

Oh please, it should. Is it just me or is this notation not making any
sense? If GMT+08:00 means "you need to add 8 hours to your local time zone
to get to GMT", then x = a + b means "you need to add 'b' to 'x' in order
to get 'a'". Darn standards. How about NOON+01:30 to indicate 10:30(am)?