Re: [SQL] Join with blank records. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [SQL] Join with blank records.
Date
List pgsql-sql
What you're attempting is called a left-join (or right, depending on how
you look at it), which is not implemented yet.

I had this question a while ago and someone suggested making a function
like:
create function phonenr(int4) returns varchar as 'select number from phone
where cust_id = $1' language 'sql';
Then you can write
select cust_id, cust_name, phone_nr(cust_id) from customer;
which seems to work nicely.

An (infinitely more clumsy) alternative would be
select customer.cust_id, cust_name, number from customer, phone where
phone.cust_id = customer.cust_id
union
select cust_id, cust_name, NULL from customer where cust_id not in (select
distinct cust_id from phone);

Then again it would strike me to put both into the same table, since there
is usually a one to one relationship between a customer and a phone. But
that's beyond what I can tell from here.

Regards,

Peter

--
Peter Eisentraut