Re: Auto Increment - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Darrel Davis
Subject Re: Auto Increment
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm a Postgres newbie who used MySQL autoincrement functionality
too.  Here's what I found.

If you will create the column type as serial, postgres will
create a sequence and assign the default value for the serial
column to be the sequence.nextval() value.

or you can just create a sequence and upon insertion into the
column, insert the value of the column as sequence.nextval() yourself.

This works for me.  HTH.

-darrel