Re: Re: web programming - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Good
Subject Re: Re: web programming
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> >    One of our competitors sunk well over a million bucks into Sun/Oracle
> > hardware, and thought they'd be "cutting-edge" by doing all of their
> > back-end programming in Java.  The end result is that our $20,000 cluster
> > using Linux, Postgres, and Perl out-performs their setup by a very
> > significant factor, and also has a greater potential for scalability.  It's
> > also a lot easier for us to find programmers than they can, and we turn out
> > new products faster than they do.
>
> I really appreciate Perl CGI because it's an amazingly fast
> development environment, much faster than any Java-based system
> I've seen.  Just edit the script and test; there's no compiling,
> no copying or restarting of servers.  mod_perl isn't quite
> as good, since you have to restart Apache, but Apache restarts
> instantly, so that's not a really serious concern.  Java's
> compilation time and the regular need to restart the Java
> environment really slow down development work.  (I've yet
> to find a servlet system whose "automatic reload" feature
> truly works as advertised.)
>
> I've also noticed that people who don't know Perl really
> tend to underestimate how many really good Perl developers
> there are.
>
>             - Tim

Boy am I glad you lads posted these replies - I'd hate to think I've
wasted all this time learning an 'obsolete' language.  ;-)

For my money (about two cents US):  The combination of Bunce (DBI),
Mergl (DBD::Pg) and Lincoln Stein (CGI.pm) is a winner.  Factor in
mod_perl and I'm content to write my code in a 'legacy' language!
(Why does that comment from Mark Twain ping from here to there in
my sensorium?  Hmm...I wonder if Larry Wall knew Mark Twain - back
in the perl heyday...?)

TFIC - and Cheers!  Best of luck to the author of the original post,
whatever language(s) you opt for...

Tom

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                             Phone: 718-354-5528
                                                 Fax:   718-354-5056
Personal:                         thomasgood@nordrhein-westfalen.org