Re: web programming - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Good
Subject Re: web programming
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, J. Atwood wrote:

> Zope. http://www.zope.org
>
> Been using PostgreSQL behind Zope for a couple of sites for over 8
> months now and it has been a pleasure.
>
> Cheers,

Hi J and Michelle.

I'm curious to try this also - I have a friend who has done alot
of work with Zope/Pg and so I have been looking over his shoulder
for awhile...I'd like to have a go myself.

I have written a slew of applications for my company's Intranet in
perl/CGI/DBI.  This is also a high octane solution.  Of course I am
a perl fanatic (it's like C for those of us with severe time constraints
and limited abilities ;-)

My src is public domain but not yet ready for prime time (too few comments
and too many mistakes, sloppy coding).  I would send a sample tho if
you (Michelle) were interested.

Ciao,
Tom

> At 9:15 PM -0400 9/25/2000, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I thought (now that I've solved my DBD::Pg problem) that I'd ask a
> >fairly generic opinion question. I've been working with postgres and
> >php now for about 4 years, quite heavily in the last year. I'm sold
> >on postgres, and will continue to use it unless I have compelling
> >reasons not to. But I'm debating about continuing development using
> >php.
> >
> >1) I'm getting better and better at perl - and it's a much more
> >mature language than php.
> >
> >2) I've been learning a bit about jsp and java servlets - and that's
> >intriguing me a lot.
> >
> >So what's your favorite web programming language to use with
> >postgres, and why? Are there speed/performance issues I should think
> >about? I'm also beginning to get into XML, so there is another set
> >of things to think about.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Michelle
> >Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
> >President, Norwottuck Technology Resources
> >mpm@norwottuck.com        www.norwottuck.com

               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056