Re: [HACKERS] (: JDBC+(Sun ~3:pm MST) CVS :) -also question about regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From teunis
Subject Re: [HACKERS] (: JDBC+(Sun ~3:pm MST) CVS :) -also question about regression tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > You said 3-5 TIMES faster?  Than 6.2.1, or last weeks source tree?  Can
> > > you give some figures.  I am curious.
> >
> > unfortunately I can't give older times...  I could make current times
> > though if I knew how.  Postgres just _FLEW_ rebuilding the company
> > database *grin*.
>
>     Well, that gives us something figurative to work with *grin*  How
> big is this company database?  What do you mean by FLEW rebuilding?
> Number of records?  Disk space used up?  Details man, details :)

*heh*
psql simply flew past - it's not a very big database (just about no real
data - but about 40 complex tables)....

I used to (last Friday, say :) be able to watch each table be created...
now it's almost instant.  (~1/2 second per table creation before).

Disk space?  about 1M - not big.  yet.

On the flip side, this database will be holding all of the company sales
records / calls / customer accounting / etc.... as soon as the client
(Java) software is stable *grin*...
.. Also planning on selling the Java package - and doing installs of
Postgres/Linux on each one *grin* when possible.  But I'm also going to
have to be windows/some database compatible and I'm not looking foreward
to that *deep sigh*.

G'day, eh? :)
    - Teunis