Re: AW: AW: Proposal for enhancements of privilege system - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: AW: AW: Proposal for enhancements of privilege system
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 30 May 2000, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> >  Yes, but I believe that Peter's idea is good. System tables
> > are used for
> > each access not only for ACL, and performance problem is a problem for
> > system cache not primary for privilege system.
>
> Yes I totally agree, that the basic idea is great, all I am saying is, that
> I would
> 1. gather more than one priviledge per table into one row (all of: select,
> insert, update ...)
I disccuse this idea with Peter some month ago via private mails (Peter
has big patience .. :-) and we already calculate about it.
* needful ACL data for one object will very small and not spend very memory   in cache, * in one moment you need
informationabout one object and one privilege  type. SELECT/UPDATE/etc in one row is not needful, if you run SELECT you
need information about priv. for select only.  * it is very easy extendible, is not defined some special pozition in
some string or some special column for (example) SELECT. You can in future add  new privilege element.

> 2. try to look at some existing table structure from one biggie db and see
> if it fits
 See pg_attribute --- here is very simular situation, but it is larger.
                        Karel