psql -e problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Drabble
Subject psql -e problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Just upgraded to 6.4.2 from 6.3.2 and I've got a bit of a problem.

Compiled, installed, regressed(?) all went fine. Come to load up the old
datbases, and it appears that \. is not being recognised as end-of-input
in the database dump file (I did a pg_dumpall -z, if that helps).

For example, I have some data as follows, which should be read in up to
the \. line, but the \. lines appears to not be recognised/ handled,
causing the following lines to be treated as data, which leads to the
commands not being executed...

COPY stats FROM stdin;
11.5    2.5     07-11-1998
12      3       07-16-1998
12      3       07-19-1998
14      4       07-30-1998
14      4       08-06-1998
15      4.5     08-15-1998
15      4.5     08-24-1998
16.5    5       08-30-1998
18.5    5       09-13-1998
20      5.5     09-20-1998
23      6       10-05-1998
\.
\connect template1 simon
create database members;

This \connect line is being treated as data, as is the create.. line,
which means the members database is not created.

Apart from separating out all the data (COPY blocks) from the command
lines, and running two or more separate routines to update the data, is
there anything I can do?

Si.

--
  "Is it farther to New York or by plane?"

   Simon Drabble                  madlather@syspac.com