Re: More JDBC questions in 6.3 - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: More JDBC questions in 6.3
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Schlough, Mark wrote:

>      ---------my other questions----------------
>
>      I am using the book "JDBC Database Access with Java" and after
> using
>      some of the examples, (available for download from
>      http://www.javasoft.com/products/jdbc/book.html) I run into
> problems.
>      I'm wondering if these methods are supported by the driver:
>
>      The questions so far seem to deal with ResultSetMetaData
>
>      I am having trouble getting it to return the datatypes, such as
>      VARCHAR, INTEGER, FLOAT,....
>
>      code snip ----- 8-<   ----
>
>      ResultSetMetaData rsmd
>
>      int columns = rsmd.getColumnCount();
>      for (int i = 1; i<= columns; i++) {
>
>      int jdbcType = rsmd.getColumnType(i)
>      String name = rsmd.getColumnTypeName(i)
>      System.out.print("Column "+1+" is JDBC type " + jdbcType);
>      System.out.print(", which the DBMS calls " + name);
>      }
>
>      code snip ----- 8-<   ----
>
>      the code runs, but I get results like:
>
>      Column 1 is JDBC type 12. which the DBMS calls null
>      Column 2 is JDBC type 4. which the DBMS calls null
>      Column 3 is JDBC type 8. which the DBMS calls null
>      Column 4 is JDBC type 4. which the DBMS calls null
>
>      does anyone know if these ResultSetMetaData methods that look at
> the
>      datatypes are supposed to work, or are they not implemented?
>
>      If they are supposed to work, could someone help me figure out what
>      am missing.
>
>      Thanks in advance
>
>      Mark

I'll check the current source to make sure nothing is broken, but this is
supported (and has been for quite some time)

--
Peter T Mount  petermount@earthling.net or pmount@maidast.demon.co.uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder