Re: [INTERFACES] Broken pipe :-) - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Broken pipe :-)
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Andreea Gheorghe wrote:

> Sorry for the previous message, I forgotten to write the subject antet
> of e-mail :-)
>
>      Hello all,
>
>      I have installed postgresql-6.2.1-7 on Red Hat 5.0(Hurricane).
>      I need to insert a large object into a data base.
>      I found in "Postgres User Manual", in section "Large Object", the sample
>  example "testlo.c" - test using large object with libpq.
>  I compiled this example, and there are some strange things:
>      - if I try to insert in the data base a file with size smaller
>  the 1K, the thinhs are Ok.
>      - but, if I try to insert a larger file, I get the message:
>  "broken pipe". Then, if I execute again, this program, I get the message:
>  "can't create large object", this mean that "lo_creat" function failed.
>
>      To insert the file in the date base is used: "lo_import" function
>  from libpq.
>      Did anyone have this problem? Can anybody help me?
>      Thanks a lot!

Large Objects are sort of broken in 6..2.1.

When I was implementing large objects in the JDBC driver, I was getting
the same errors that you are seeing. I found it was sort of a memory leak
in fastpath that was causing the backend to dump core.

I'd advise you upgrade to 6.3 (now it's out), as it fixes this problem.

Also, lo_import/lo_export only works for files sitting on the server, not
on the client. To access files on the server, look at the examples in the
source tree.

--
Peter T Mount  petermount@earthling.net or pmount@maidast.demon.co.uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder