Re: [HACKERS] MB patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter T Mount
Subject Re: [HACKERS] MB patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998 t-ishii@sra.co.jp wrote:
>
> >     1. single byte 7 bit ASCII/8 bit characters(mostly used in Europ)
> >     2. EUC (extend Unix Code) for Japanese, Chinese and Korean
> >     3. UNICODE (UTF-8)
> >     4. Mule internal code
> >
> > I only modified include/regexp, backend/regex and
> > backend/utils/adt/like.c. So the patches would not affect other parts
> > of PostgreSQL, I believe.
> > Note that I changed regexp coming with PostgreSQL rather than
> > borrowing GNU's regex to avoid license issues.
> >
> > Should I post the patches for 6.3b now or wait after v6.3?
>
>     Please hold these until post v6.3 ... only two weeks left for
> release, and with the currently reproducable bug that has been found,
> throwing in new code isn't a good idea :(

Another reason is that the UTF code may be handy for the JDBC driver -
occasionally I get questions about how Unicode is handled. Currently I'm
saying "It isn't yet".

However, this is something I wont be able to get round to until 6.3 is
out.

--
Peter T Mount  petermount@earthling.net or pmount@maidast.demon.co.uk
Main Homepage: http://www.demon.co.uk/finder