Re: Colons in wiki page titles, and commit fest page names - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Colons in wiki page titles, and commit fest page names
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Creating categories for pages, as you describe, could also be useful, but I
> think it is independent of the page naming.

I bring it up because the current naming for some pages includes things
that might be properly replaced by either categorization or namespaces,
rather than continuing to include that detail in the name of the page.
Page renaming is annoying enough in MediaWiki that you don't want to make
several passes at it, better to decide exactly what to do and rename only
once.

> I have finally found a presumably authoritative source about this:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Help:Namespaces

And that suggests using Namespaces as a tool for organizing the main
content isn't a recommended practice.  As I look into this more I keep
returning to categories as the preferred way to organize things.

> The take-home message is, if the page is a content page (in our case, it
> is about PostgreSQL), then its name shouldn't contain a colon.

I'm with you here.  All of the pages with colons on their names will
eventually need to be renamed to remove them.  I just think it's better to
fix the categorization first, so people see the right way to do what the
original writer trying to handle with colons, then do the rename.