PostgreSQL Docs - Community Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject PostgreSQL Docs - Community Documentation
Date
List pgsql-general
Last month there was a discussion about how it would be nice to have a
place people would write user-oriented documentation at with more
flexibility than the current Techdocs site offers.  I ran with that idea
and there is now such a site available at http://www.postgresqldocs.org

You will need to create an account in order to submit edits, but there's
no approval process; you'll get in instantly.  Submissions are accepted
under the Creative Commons Attribution license.

I put in an initial outline to organize things and filled in enough
articles that there's already useful content there.  What I plan to do is
take all these archived e-mails I have from interesting list discussions
and summarize a chunk of them every week onto articles there, like General
Bits used to do (with the difference that as people notice issues with the
suggestions it's easy to improve them).  An example of that I'd suggest as
a reasonable format to follow for that sort of thing is at
http://www.postgresqldocs.org/index.php/Fixing_Sequences

Thanks to Joshua Drake and Command Prompt for providing hosting space and
even having an appropriate domain.  To cut off one question I expect to
pop up, yes it would be nice to have this integrated with the main
postgresql.org site and its existing account structure.  But since Joshua
was the only person who answered my request for hosting space I used the
server he volunteered.  We'd be glad to move this to somewhere more
official if that were available, I'm focused on creating the content and
don't care where it lives at.