Re: PostgreSQL Docs - Community Documentation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Rouillier
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Docs - Community Documentation
Date
Re: PostgreSQL Docs - Community Documentation  ("Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
List pgsql-general
Greg Smith wrote:

> Thanks to Joshua Drake and Command Prompt for providing hosting space
> and even having an appropriate domain.  To cut off one question I expect
> to pop up, yes it would be nice to have this integrated with the main
> postgresql.org site and its existing account structure.  But since
> Joshua was the only person who answered my request for hosting space I
> used the server he volunteered.  We'd be glad to move this to somewhere
> more official if that were available, I'm focused on creating the
> content and don't care where it lives at.

Greg et al, thanks very much for taking this idea and making it a
reality.  Since I was one of the ones who requested it, I'll sign up for
an account right away (done).  Regarding "where it lives", what is the
constraint that prevents it from residing on the main site?  Space?  Money?

I see one addition that would be helpful to newcomers to this tool such
as myself.  The Main Page jumps right into the PG related material;
"Getting Started" refers to getting started with PG, not with getting
started contributing to the community documentation.  I discovered that
clicking the "About PostreSQL Docs" link on the bottom of the page
produces a short intro to the purpose of the site.  Could we also get
added to this page a sentence or two about the software that runs the
site, and a pointer to documentation on that software?  I know, I know,
this is "user-contributed" documentation, so I'm free to add that
myself.  Hopefully you appreciate my Catch-22 ;).

"About PostgreSQL Docs" is an important topic, and should be elevated to
the same list as "Main Page".

--
Guy Rouillier