Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Linux v.s. Mac OS-X Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

> Anecdotal - I have found "smart" raid controllers to fail more often than
> dumb scsi controllers (or even SATA/PATA controllers), and some seem more
> failure prone than semi-decent operating systems.

You'd need to name some names here for this to mean too much.  There are
plenty of positively miserable RAID controllers out there.  I wouldn't
trust the cards from Adaptec, Promise, and Highpoint to correctly store a
database about what's in my pockets.

> What's more likely in most places is somebody powering down the server
> abruptly, and then fsync=off could hurt :).

Here you're hitting on the real point.  If a proposed solution adds
potential for database corruption if someone trips over the server cord,
it's not really a solution at all.