Re: clog_buffers to 64 in 8.3? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: clog_buffers to 64 in 8.3?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> I find it entirely likely that simply changing the [NUM_CLOG_BUFFERS]
> constant would be a net loss on many workloads.

Would it be reasonable to consider changing it to a compile-time option
before the 8.3 beta?  From how you describe the potential downsides, it
sounds to me like something that specific distributors might want to
adjust based on their target customer workloads and server scale.  That
would make it available as a tunable to those aiming at larger systems
with enough CPU/memory throughput that the additional overhead of more
linear searches is trumped by the reduced potential for locking
contention, as appears to be the case in Sun's situation here.