Re: GIT patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: GIT patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > I've started reading the GIT patch to see if I can help with the review.
>
> > As the patch stands, I tried to keep it as non-invasive as possible,
> > with minimum changes to existing APIs. That's because in the winter we
> > were discussing changes to the indexam API to support the bitmap index
> > am, and also GIT. I wanted to just have a patch to do performance
> > testing with, without getting into the API changes.
>
> Hmm, do say, doesn't it seem like the lack of feedback and the failed
> bitmap patch played against final development of this patch?  At this
> point I feel like the patch still needs some work and reshuffling before
> it is in an acceptable state.  The fact that there are some API changes
> for which the patch needs to be adjusted makes me feel like we should
> put this patch on hold for 8.4.  So we would first get the API changes
> discussed and done and then adapt this patch to them.

As Heikki mentioned, this was discussed back in March/April with no
movement.   At this point we have at least a month until beta so please
try to move it forward as much as possible.  It isn't going to be any
easier during 8.4.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com