Re: Machine available for community use - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Machine available for community use
Date
Re: Machine available for community use  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> Ubuntu server?  Slackware?  Not a fan of Centos, RHEL or Fedora...

Unless you did a custom intall, using Ubuntu server would expose the
people using your server to the quirks of how the Debian packages for
PostgreSQL differ from other Linux distributions.  I'm not sure whether
that would be a good (shine some light on that underdocumented area) or
bad (get in people's way) thing.  The way they make it easier to manage
multiple clusters might actually be ideal for what you're trying to do,
let people have their own cluster and stay out of each other's data space
at least.

I think Slackware has all the non-mainstream issues of Gentoo, but without
the advantages Portage brings.

> What about on the BSD side of things?

Since your goal is improve scalability on Linux, I think you'd be best
focusing on that.  There's just enough low-level differences between the
two that I'd hate to see you put resources into improving scaling, only to
discover it doesn't actually help what you put into production because the
platform is too different.