Re: Machine available for community use - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Machine available for community use
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> Unless you did a custom intall, using Ubuntu server would expose the
> people using your server to the quirks of how the Debian packages for
> PostgreSQL differ from other Linux distributions.

I doubt we'd be doing much work with the distro-installed version of
Postgres anyway, so this doesn't seem like a big concern.  In fact,
to avoid confusion it might be best if the machine has no
distro-installed Postgres at all.  That would help avoid "oops, that
test was run against the wrong server" syndrome.

I do essentially all my development work with installations that are
--prefix'd to user directories and started/stopped by hand; it's just
a lot easier to manage a pile of different versions that way.  Plus
I never need to become root.  Not sure how other developers work,
though.