Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - feedback adjustable control - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - feedback adjustable control
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Sabin Coanda wrote:

> Instead of (or in addition to) configure dozens of settings, what do you
> say about a feedback adjustable control based on the existing system
> statistics and parsing logs

Take a look at the archive of this list for the end of April/Early May.
There's a thread there named "Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL
Performance Tuning" that addressed this subject in length I think you'll
find interesting reading.

I personally feel there's much more long-term potential for a tool that
inspects the database, but the needs of something looking for getting good
starting configuration file (before there necessarily is even a populated
database) is different enough that it may justify building two different
tools.

I would suggest you or anything else building the starter configuration
tool not stray from the path of getting the most important variables set
to reasonable values.  Trying to satisfy every possible user is the path
that leads to a design so complicated that it's unlikely you'll ever get a
finished build done at all.