Re: Configuration Advice - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steve
Subject Re: Configuration Advice
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Benjamin Minshall wrote:

>> Building these indexes takes forever!
>
>> Anyway -- ANYTHING we can do to make this go faster is appreciated :)
>> Here's some vital statistics:
>
>> - Machine is a 16 GB, 4 actual CPU dual-core opteron system using SCSI
>> discs.  The disc configuration seems to be a good one, it's the best of all
>> the ones we've tested so far.
>
> What are your shared_buffers, work_mem, and maintenance_work_mem settings?
>
> maintenance_work_mem is used for CREATE INDEX, and with 16GB of memory in the
> machine, maintenance_work_mem should be set to at least 1GB in my opinion.

shared_buffers = 8GB
work_mem = 256MB
maintenance_work_mem = 6GB

So that should be covered, unless I'm using too much memory and swapping.
It does look like it's swapping a little, but not too badly as far as I
can tell.  I'm thinking of dialing back everything a bit, but I'm not
really sure what the heck to do :)  It's all guessing for me right now.

Steve