Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Um, you entirely missed the point: the hardware speedups you mention are
> quite independent of any compiler options.  The numbers we are looking
> at are the relative speeds of two different compiles on the same
> hardware, not whether hardware A is faster than hardware B.

The point that I failed to make clear is that expecting Mike's system to
perform like Daniel's just because they have similar processors isn't
realistic, considering the changes that happened in the underlying
hardware during that period.  Having very different memory subsystems will
shift which optimizations are useful and which have minimal impact even if
the processor is basically the same.