Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date
List pgsql-performance
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Michael Stone wrote:
>> Can anyone else reproduce these results? I'm on similar hardware (2.5GHz P4,
>> 1.5G RAM)...

> There are two likely candidates for why Daniel's P4 3.0GHz significantly
> outperforms your 2.5GHz system.

Um, you entirely missed the point: the hardware speedups you mention are
quite independent of any compiler options.  The numbers we are looking
at are the relative speeds of two different compiles on the same
hardware, not whether hardware A is faster than hardware B.

            regards, tom lane