fix schema ownership on first connection preliminary patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fabien COELHO
Subject fix schema ownership on first connection preliminary patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear hackers,

Please find attached a preliminary patch to fix schema ownership on first
connection. It is for comments and advices as I still have doubts about
various how-and-where issues, thus it is not submitted to the patch list.

(1) It adds a new "datisinit" attribute to pg_database, which tells   whether the database initialization was performed
ornot.   The documentation is updated accordingly.

(2) This boolean is tested in postinit.c:ReverifyMyDatabase,   and InitializeDatabase is called if necessary.

(3) The routine updates pg_database datisinit, as well as pg_namespace   ownership and acl stuff. The acl item update
partis not yet   appropriate: I'd like some answers before going on.

(4) Some validation is added. It passes for me.

My questions:

- is the place for the first connection housekeeping updates appropriate? it seems so from ReverifyMyDatabase comments,
butthese are only comments.

- it is quite convenient to use SPI_* stuff for this very rare updates, but I'm not that confident about the issue...
Onthe other hand, the all-C solution would result in a much longer and less obvious code.

- it is unclear to me whether it should be allowed to skip this under some condition, when the database is accessed in
"debug"mode from a standalone postgres for instance?

- also I'm wondering how to react (what to do and how to do it) on errors within or under these initialization. For
instance,how to be sure that the CurrentUser is reset as expected?

Thanks in advance for your answers and comments.

Have a nice day.

--
Fabien Coelho - coelho@cri.ensmp.fr