Re: Charset problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jani Averbach
Subject Re: Charset problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Please make sure that psql shows them incorrectly. If not, your
> problems are with JDBC or Java or your servlets, not with PostgreSQL
> backend.

Well, I would argue with that.

I was in the situation where psql shows chars correctly, but them has been
showed incorrectly by java.

And the reason is that:
(quete from Barry Lind's email)

Now it turns out that Postgres is a little lax in its character set
support, so you can very easily insert char/varchar/text with values
that fall outside the range of valid values for a given character set
(and psql doesn't really care either).  However in java since we must do
character set conversion to unicode, it does make a difference and any
values that were inserted that are incorrect with regards to the
database character set will be reported as ?'s in java.

<http://archives2.us.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2001-05/msg00023.php>

I have been hit my toe to stone once with that problem, and the cure
was: There have to be backend compiled with multibyte support, and set up
with correct char set.

IMHO, the main problem is that 8-bit speaking people don't think that they
will need multibyte support. If you figure that out, you will be salvaged
because the actual multibyte doc is very good and clear.

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach