Re: CPU killer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tod McQuillin
Subject Re: CPU killer
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Vilson farias wrote:

>     I've been using Postgres in a Pentium 75Mhz, Linux RedHat 6.2, 32Mb.
>
>    Every big query I execute uses too much cpu (more than 90%).
>
>    I start postgres with these params: su -l postgres -c
> '/usr/bin/postmaster -B 2048  -i -D "/home/postgres/data"' &.
>
> What should I do for avoid postgres extreme cpu allocation? I know
> sometimes non-indexed tables or huge size tables can be slow, but here
> I don't care about execution speed, I just want less cpu allocation no
> matter how slow.

Well, assuming you've already optimised the queries to run as quickly as
possible, if you don't want the backend stealing cpu from other processes
then start postmaster with the nice command (man nice) to give it a lower
priority.  It will still use just as much CPU time, but not at the expense
of other processes.
--
Tod McQuillin