Re: [NOVICE] date_trunc'd timestamp index possible? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From D. Duccini
Subject Re: [NOVICE] date_trunc'd timestamp index possible?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> The reason this doesn't work is that the timestamp to date conversion
> depends on the time zone setting. In theory you should be able to avoid
> this by specifying the time zone to check the date in. I tried something
> like the following which I think should work, but doesn't:
> create idxfoo on foo (date(timezone('UTC',footime)));
>
> The conversion of the timestamp stored in footime should be immutable
> and then taking the date should work. I did find that date of a timestamp
> without time zone is treated as immutable.
>
> I am not sure how to check if the supplied function for converting
> a timestamp with time zone to a timestamp without timezone using a
> specified time zone is immutable. I think this function should be
> immutable, but that it probably isn't.

I think we found a way around it!

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION date_immutable( timestamptz ) RETURNS date AS
'SELECT date( $1 ) ;' LANGUAGE 'sql' IMMUTABLE ;

CREATE INDEX "new_event_dt" ON "the_events" USING btree (
date_immutable( "event_dt_tm" ) ) ;

david@backpack.com            BackPack Software, Inc.        www.backpack.com
+1 651.645.7550 voice       "Life is an Adventure.
+1 651.645.9798 fax            Don't forget your BackPack!"