Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Consider this:
>
>     The stock market going crazy over Linux stocks
>     Interbase users are considering moving en-mass to PostgreSQL
>     Publishers are crawling all over each other to publish a PostgreSQL book
>
> With these signs, it is possible we may be _very_ popular in the near
> future.  I am not sure this will happen, but I didn't think this would
> happen to Linux.

The worst thing we could do is to intentionally try to stay less than
popular. There's a reason Linux is taking off and *BSD isn't really, and
it's not technology. (Sorry, Marc.)

> My big question is, what new challenges will we face as we become more
> popular?
>
> Do we have the proper license?  I know this has the possibility of
> opening up a GPL vs. BSD slugfest.  However, I will not let such a
> discussion get out of control.

One thing we should definitely attempt to do before 7.0 is write our own
license or at least our own copyright in addition to the BSD license,
since none of us (?) actually work at UCB.