Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Future of PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Sat, 25 Dec 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Consider this:
> >
> >     The stock market going crazy over Linux stocks
> >     Interbase users are considering moving en-mass to PostgreSQL
> >     Publishers are crawling all over each other to publish a PostgreSQL book

These three items represent three good signs:

    Commercial success of a related technology
    Increased user interest
    Increased commercial interest

BTW, I forgot to mention that my web page at

> > With these signs, it is possible we may be _very_ popular in the near
> > future.  I am not sure this will happen, but I didn't think this would
> > happen to Linux.
>
> The worst thing we could do is to intentionally try to stay less than
> popular. There's a reason Linux is taking off and *BSD isn't really, and
> it's not technology. (Sorry, Marc.)

I think everyone can agree with that, including Marc.

> > My big question is, what new challenges will we face as we become more
> > popular?
> >
> > Do we have the proper license?  I know this has the possibility of
> > opening up a GPL vs. BSD slugfest.  However, I will not let such a
> > discussion get out of control.
> >

> One thing we should definitely attempt to do before 7.0 is write our own
> license or at least our own copyright in addition to the BSD license,
> since none of us (?) actually work at UCB.

We certainly have the power to add a license of our own.  BSDI has done
this, as well as many other companies.  I don't want to wait until
things get very busy and then try to address these issues.  We may
decide we don't want to do anything, but I would like to decide that
now.