Re: [INTERFACES] Slow join query optimisation? - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Slow join query optimisation?
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:21:43 -0500
> From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> To: dougt@mugc.cc.monash.edu.au
> Cc: pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Slow join query optimisation?
>
> Douglas Thomson <dougt@mugc.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:
> > Is there any way to turn off the optimisation? Or perhaps some way to
> > work out the optimal strategy once, and then provide this information
> > directly?
>
> Not at the moment.  There's been some talk of caching query plans,
> which would get the job done, but none of the current developers are
> working on that now.  It'll probably happen someday...

What do you need to have 'someday' tomorrow :-?
Seriously, last topics about postgres performance indicate that
many people now seriously consider Postgres as a db engine for
real business application. And because business is more and more
shifting to Internet, we also need to think about Web-friendly
postgres features. One feature (LIMIT) implemented by Jan  already
brings many Web-developers. Next was MVCC (and we're waiting for
WAL). We need DB pooling, which would be very useful in
high-performance Web application, CORBA interface is very important
(I currently just reading books). Caching query plans is very desirable,
probably not caching, but storing (naming), so developer could decide
which query should be stored.
Regards,
    Oleg

>             regards, tom lane

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83