vaccum problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject vaccum problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I have a cron job to vacuum table which updates rather frequently
and after month of work I'm getting NOTICE

NOTICE:  Index hits_pkey: NUMBER OF INDEX' TUPLES (10003) IS NOT THE SAME AS
HEAP' (10006)

I use

psql -tq discovery < vacuum_hits.sql
where vacuum_hits.sql is:

vacuum analyze hits(msg_id);
begin work;
drop index hits_pkey;
create unique index hits_pkey on hits(msg_id);
end work;

I rebuild index hits_pkey to avoid infinite grow - well, after Vadim's
patch it still grows when table intensively updates.

I've dumped and restored this table but I still get NOTICE message.
The site I developed is in alpha stage, so sometimes I restart http
server. I use persistent connection with postgres database so
each http process has persistent connection with postgres database.
Could be the problem If I just kill http processes and restart them ?
Or I have to stop all postgres processes before ?
What's the best way to manage persistent connections in 24*7 regime
of http server ?
Regards,
    Oleg

PS.
Forget to note: postgres 6.5.2, Linux 2.0.37, Apache 1.3.9,               modperl 1.21, ApacheDBI 0.87
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83