SELECT FOR UPDATE in function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject SELECT FOR UPDATE in function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Is't possible to use SELECT FOR UPDATE in functions ?
I have function for 'insert or update' which works ok, but as I have some
problem with duplicated records I tried as suggested by Tom Lane to use
SELECT FOR UPDATE instead of just select. Unfortunately it doesn't works:

ERROR:  query didn't return correct # of attributes for *internal*

Here is a function:
CREATE FUNCTION "acc_hits" (int4) RETURNS int4 AS '
Declare   keyval      Alias For $1;   cnt         int4;   curtime     datetime;
Begin   curtime := ''now'';
--    Select count into cnt from hits where msg_id = keyval FOR UPDATE;   Select count into cnt from hits where msg_id
=keyval;   if Not Found then       cnt := 1;       -- first_access inserted on default, last_access is NULL
InsertInto hits (msg_id,count) values (keyval, cnt);      else       cnt := cnt + 1;       Update hits set count =
cnt,last_access= curtime where msg_id = keyval;   End If;   return cnt;

End;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Regards,
    Oleg

PS.

Just to test:

create table hits (  msg_id int4 not null primary key, count  int4 not null, first_access datetime default now(),
last_accessdatetime

);

select acc_hits(1);

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83