Re: [INTERFACES] Perl Interface - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Perl Interface
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Robert,

have you seen DBI/DBD perl interface to PostgreSQL ?
I'd recommend you to try it.
Your script looks like (not tested):
------------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/perluse DBI; my $dbname = 'test';my $query = "Select username,password,knickname,emailaddy,forward,ip,date
fromtemp";$dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Pg:dbname=$dbname") or die $DBI::errstr;my $sth = $dbh->prepare ( $query ) or die
"Can'tprepare statement: $DBI::errstr\n\t$query"; $sth->execute() or die "Can't execute statement:
$DBI::errstr\n\t$query";while( my @ary = $sth->fetchrow() ) {  print join("\|",@ary),"\n";  }$sth->finish or die
$DBI::errstr;

Regards,
    Oleg

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999 robert_hiltibidal_at_cms08405@ccmailgw.state.il.us wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Jun 99 12:46:33 -0600
> From: robert_hiltibidal_at_cms08405@ccmailgw.state.il.us
> To: pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: [INTERFACES] Perl Interface
>

>      Afternoon,
>
>      Something that's been driving me a little buggy maybe someone Out
>      There can shed some light...
>
>      We use postgres for user management on linux systems. Nothing fancy
>      about the fields, just username,password,lastname,firstname etc.
>
>      Traditionally I've used the shell psql function:
>      @exec = `psql -A -d users -t -q -c "Select * from temp"`;
>
>      Weeellll now I'm running into server timeouts on the box. The
>      adminmstration box does see a fair amount of load. We use sql
>      extensively and consequently we ahve a large number of cron jobs that
>      fire up psql shells. I had thought using the methods found in pg would
>      help. I am planning to port our applications over to C but... that's a
>      several month job. I'm looking for a quick fix here to buy me some
>      time. The other side of that is C is not my preferred language of
>      choice... I do pascal and perl.
>
>      I am not clear yet as how to navigate multiple rows on the recordset
>      return using the pg method. Ideally I want to put all the results into
>      an array like this:
>      username|password|lastname
>      marty|next|Robinson
>      mel|foreman|Johnson
>
>      The <$ret = $result->fetchrow> function only returns a portion of the
>      row.
>
>      I have created a lttle subroutine using the getvalue method that
>      iterates thru each row and pushes it into an array. This will work for
>      now. However I am curious, is there another, more simpler method to
>      accomplish this?
>
>      Thanks,
>
>      -Rob

>      #       Subroutine         #

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83