Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: Error parsing negative numbers - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: [BUGS] General Bug Report: Error parsing negative numbers
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Just tried on my Linux 2.0.37, latest 6.5 cvs, compiled by egcs

test=> select -0.123456789012345;
          ?column?
------------------
-0.123456789012345(1 row)

test=> select version();
version
PostgreSQL 6.5.0 on i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66
(1 row)

    Regards.

        Oleg

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Unprivileged user wrote:

> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:49:00 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Unprivileged user <nobody@hub.org>
> To: pgsql-bugs@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: [BUGS] General Bug Report: Error parsing negative numbers

>                         POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE
>

> Your name               : Sverre H. Huseby
> Your email address      : shh@computas.no
>
> Category                : unknown
> Severity                : serious

> System Configuration
> --------------------
>   Operating System   : Linux, Solaris
>
>   PostgreSQL version : 6.5
>
>   Compiler used      : egcs (Linux), gcc (Solaris)
>
> Hardware:
> ---------
> 2.0.34, pentium
>
> Versions of other tools:
> ------------------------

> Problem Description:
> --------------------
> Negative numbers with more than a certain number og
> digits produce an error message when being parsed.
> Didn't see this problem on 6.4.x.

> Test Case:
> ----------
> wox=> select -0.123456789012345;
>           ?column?
> ------------------
> -0.123456789012345
> (1 row)
>
> wox=> select -0.1234567890123456;
> ERROR:  Unable to convert left operator '-' from type 'unknown'

> Solution:
> ---------
> I flagged this as serious, as applications that worked
> before may stop working (as happened for me). The temporary
> solution is to rewrite applications to limit the number
> of digits sent to PostgreSQL.

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83