Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Features list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Features list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:05:52 +0900
> From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>
> To: Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
> Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers@postgreSQL.org>
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Features list
>
> > Fix case where executor evaluates functions twice(Tatsuo)
>
> I don't think above was done by me. Maybe Hirosi?
>
> >Port to NetBSD/macppc(Toshimi Aoki)
>
> Also could you add above?
>
> BTW, I'm going to add a new Cyrillic support to the multi-byte support
> next week (around 3/23-3/35) if this is not too late. Yes, I know we
> already have the rcode support. But it seems to have some difficulties
> with on-the-fly encoding conversion.  (Oleg, is this explanation
> correct?)

Here is Oleg Bartunov not Oleg Broytman :-) Several months ago we discussed
cyrillic support with mb code, but I was too busy and thanks to Oleg Broytmann
who kindly agreed to communnicate with you.  Short question:
Will ALTER TABLE has support for changing of encoding for existing
data ?
Not really difficulties but your mb support is an elegant and flexible way to
do on-fly encoding support. rcode requires some fixed pre-configuration
based on host/net  definitions.

> Anyway, the new Cyrillic support will not kill existing rcode support.
> In another word, users can choose whatever Cyrillic support they like.

rcode IMHO could be removed from  the source if mb will works ok.
Best regards,    Oleg

> ---
> Tatsuo Ishii

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83