Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Features list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Features list
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

> Here is Oleg Bartunov not Oleg Broytman :-)

Wao. Is Oleg a pupular first name?

> Several months ago we discussed
> cyrillic support with mb code, but I was too busy and thanks to Oleg Broytmann
> who kindly agreed to communnicate with you.  Short question:
> Will ALTER TABLE has support for changing of encoding for existing
> data ?

No. The backend encoding can be defined for each database but not for
each table. To have a different encoding for each table, we need an
encoding/chaset attribute in the pg_class table. Someday I would try
this (probably with support for NATIONAL CHARACTER).

Is this a serious issue for you?

> Not really difficulties but your mb support is an elegant and flexible way to
> do on-fly encoding support. rcode requires some fixed pre-configuration
> based on host/net  definitions.

Thanks for choosing MB support.

BTW, mb(multi-byte support) may not be a suitable naming, since
cyrillic is definitely a single byte encoding:-)
---
Tatsuo Ishii