Re: Small problem with special characters - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Small problem with special characters
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Well the 0xc3b6 does obviously _not_ exist in the Windows codepage (as it is
> a 2byte character). But this is a "regular" umlaut (ö) that (from a "visual"
> point of view) does exist in the codepage.

Where do you see it here?

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/sbcs/1251.mspx

I can't find it, but if you do it will show the unicode equivalent that
you need to use to insert it.

> I'm just wondering: how would someone who is forced to use a win1251 database
> together with Java would succeed in inserting umlauts into the database?

You can't fit every unicode character into a single byte encoding.

Kris Jurka