Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
Re: location of the configuration files
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Thursday 13 February 2003 18:07, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > Actually FHS says the opposite.  If the distribution installs PostgreSQL
> > then the config files belong in /etc/postgresql.  If the admin does then
> > they belong in /usr/local/etc/postgresql.  FHS is out of their tree.  If
> > PostgreSQL or any other package is not critical to the basic operation of
> > the operating system, it's config files shouldn't be polluting /etc.
>
> PostgreSQL is as critical as PHP, Apache, or whatever other package is being
> backended by PostgreSQL.  If the package is provided by the distributor,
> consider it part of the OS.  If it isn't, well, it isn't.

You completely miss my point, but lately you've been real good at that.

Can the system boot without PHP, Apache, PostgreSQL, Mysql and/or Pine?
Can the root user log in without PHP, Apache, PostgreSQL, Mysql and/or Pine?
Can any user log in without PHP, Apache, PostgreSQL, Mysql and/or Pine?

Note, I'm not even including an MTA here.  I said BASIC OPERATION.

If a package is not critical as I just outlined, it shouldn't matter who
installed it.

After the last go around with you Lamar, this will be my last response
to you on this.

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.