Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 13 Feb 2003, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > > I really don't see why there is such a not-invented-here mentality about
> > > this issue.  I say again, standards-compliance is the best way.  It
> > > makes life easier for everyone if standards are followed.  Don't we
> > > pride ourselves on being closer to the SQL spec than other databases?
> > > Any way, if PostgreSQL stays as it is, I will continue to have to ensure
> > > that initdb creates symlinks to /etc/postgresql/, as happens now.
> >
> > It doesn't have anything to do with "not-invented-here", which is a
> > common refrain by people who don't like our decisions, like "Why don't
> > you use mmap()?  Oh, it's because I thought of it and you didn't".  Does
> > anyone seriously believe that is the motiviation of anyone in this
> > project!  I certainly don't.
>
> My apologies.  I withdraw the comment, which was provoked mostly by
> Vince's response, quoted above.  I agree that it is not characteristic
> of the project.

I certainly wasn't trying to provoke anything.  It just seems odd to me
that when the distribution installs a package and places it's config files
in /etc and later the admin happens to upgrade by the instructions with
the package, it's acceptable for the config files to now be in two places
and you don't find it confusing.  What happens when a new admin comes on
and tries to figure out which config file is which?   Ever try to figure
out where the hell Pine's config really is?

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.