Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 17:52, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > > Seems to me that if FHS allows such a mess, it's reason enough to avoid
> > > compliance.  Either that or those of you who build for distributions are
> > > making an ill advised change.  Simply because the distribution makes the
> > > decision to add PostgreSQL, or some other package, to it's distribution
> > > doesn't make it a requirement to change the location of the config files.
> > I really don't see why there is such a not-invented-here mentality about
> > this issue.  I say again, standards-compliance is the best way.  It
> > makes life easier for everyone if standards are followed.  Don't we
> > pride ourselves on being closer to the SQL spec than other databases?
> > Any way, if PostgreSQL stays as it is, I will continue to have to ensure
> > that initdb creates symlinks to /etc/postgresql/, as happens now.
>
> It doesn't have anything to do with "not-invented-here", which is a
> common refrain by people who don't like our decisions, like "Why don't
> you use mmap()?  Oh, it's because I thought of it and you didn't".  Does
> anyone seriously believe that is the motiviation of anyone in this
> project!  I certainly don't.

My apologies.  I withdraw the comment, which was provoked mostly by
Vince's response, quoted above.  I agree that it is not characteristic
of the project.

========================================   "The earth is the LORD'S, and the fullness thereof; the     world, and they
thatdwell therein."                                              Psalms 24:1