Re: Our archive searching stinks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: Our archive searching stinks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, I have finally decided that our archive searching stinks.  I have
> emails in my mailbox that don't appear in the archives.
>
> Our main site, http://archives.postgresql.org/ doesn't archive the
> 'patches' list.  (It isn't listed on the main site, and I can't find
> postings via searching.) Also, why does it open a separate window for
> each email.  That doesn't make any sense to me.
>
> My backup is Google,
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=comp.databases.postgresql,
> but that seems to be missing emails too.  Our email/news link regulary
> drops messages and therefore Google can't see them.
>
> It isn't one thing, but a general lack of quality in this area.  Heck,
> we had no usable archives for _months_.  Is this really only important
> to me?
>
> Oh, I see FTS is back working at http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/.  I
> like the output format, but all three are give me different results.
> However, fts is invisible because I can't find a link to it from
> anywhere on our web pages.
>
> I guess I am asking:
>
>     Can our main archive start doing the patches list?
>     Can it stop opening a new window for every email?
>     Can we find out why the email/news gateway drops messages?
>     Can we link to the fts site?

The only thing I can help with is the fts link, but I'm hesitant to
link to something that disappears.  If it's going to be here and not
go away again I'll be happy to add it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore